Saturday, August 11, 2007

Rollyo: Not So Awesome

This is a tool that I think works better in theory than in practice. A coworker had an idea to set up a Searchroll for buying books, that would search Amazon and some others that she regularly searched. Sounds like a good idea, but when we tried it out, there were so many results, it didn't really make the searching any simpler and more streamlined. You can try it for yourself here.
When I went to set up my own Searchroll, I couldn't think of any ideas. For clothes, I basically shop on one site. For news, that's covered with Bloglines. For health issues, I start with MedlinePlus & that's usually enough. So I looked around at what some other 23 Things Participants had done, and I liked Jen's, which was for Kid's Health. Also, I liked Julie's, which was for storytime ideas. So I created my own along those lines, since there is a core group of sites I seem to always use for storytime craft ideas. Here's the Searchroll. But I tried it a couple of times, and I'm just not convinced that I couldn't get the same results, and perhaps with even greater accuracy, from Google (which is how I search for craft ideas now.)
I also played around a little with some of the other Searchrolls on the site, but didn't see anything that I couldn't live without.
Final analysis: Rollyo, in spite of your catchy red and white graphics, and your edgy "roll your own" slogan, I will not be visiting you again...you seem to be more gimic than substance.
(Unlike that other red and white phenomenon I love so much.)

No comments: