Friday, August 24, 2007

Google Docs: Two Thumbs Up!

I was lucky to have already explored Google Docs a bit thanks to a coworker who is quite a bit further along than I am in this 23 Things project. She actually used Google Docs in REAL LIFE. We had attended a training together back in July on internet safety for kids. As part of "transfer of training" here at CCPL, we are supposed to post what we learned at trainings to our CCPL blog. This summer has been PARTICULARLY CRAZY so the weeks went by, and neither of us got around to posting, which is definitely a big no-no...so one day, J. sat down, typed her notes into Google Docs, and emailed them to me to edit & add what I wanted. Her email sat lurking in my Inbox for a couple more weeks, then finally when I creeped up to Week 18 of 23 Things, I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone. I edited her notes, and just to be extra daring, I published straight from Google Docs to the blog. I have to admit this was a little "glitchy" as I have TWO blogs through Blogger, 23 Things & the CCPL blog. There is an option in Google Docs to type the title of the blog you want your document sent to, but this didn't appear to work as I had expected. I meant to post to 23 Things, to use that as my proof of exploring Google Docs, but it posted to the CCPL one anyway. Which I did need to do, so it was OK, and now I'm writing this long explanatory post about the whole thing. The only question is, can I manage to direct it to the right blog???? We'll soon find out.
Long story short: Google Docs, thumbs up. I'll be using it in my work & probably personal life. Thanks, 23 Things!

No comments: